Vitamin C: All Your Questions Answered
What is Vitamin C?
Vitamins are indispensable elements for good health. The word itself comes from the combination of the word "vital" meaning life, and "amine" which is a type of organic compound. Vitamin C in particular is a popular water-soluble vitamin found naturally in citrus and other fruits and vegetables. It is said to boost immunity and prevent and heals various diseases. Additionally, it is also well-known for its antioxidation and anti-inflammatory properties.
Why Should I Use Vitamin C?
Vitamin C is no stranger to the skincare industry as well. It is commonly used in many skincare products like serums, moisturizers, and sunscreens because of its proven positive effects on the skin, addressing most if not all imaginable skin concerns. Below are the top advantages of topical Vitamin C:
Prevents Hyperpigmentation and Melasma
Too much exposure to UV rays, pollution, and other external irritants causes small dark spots to develop all over our skin. Vitamin C is one of the best ingredients that can slowly erase these freckle-like spots.
Skin oxidation is a result of exposure to external irritants that rapidly increases the production of free radicals, often causing dullness, blemishes, and premature skin aging. Vitamin C works by binding to free radicals, stopping its negative effects on our skin.
Vitamin C doesn't just stop free radicals, it also counteracts its skin aging effects by promoting the increase of collagen and elastin on our skin, making it smooth, plump, and younger-looking.
Smoothens Wrinkles and Scars
Vitamin C is usually present in most anti-aging products. It is said to reduce the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines, and even scars when used religiously for a few months.
Brightens and Moisturizes Skin
If you're looking for an instant boost for your skin, Vitamin C is a great product to use. It can keep your skin hydrated for longer, reduce any redness and itchiness, and give you a brighter and more radiant complexion.
Who Should Use Vitamin C?
Now that we've sung all the praises for Vitamin C, the question is, is it for you? Well, Vitamin C is actually a great addition to any skincare routine. It is especially beneficial for individuals who are:
- Always outdoors and are frequently exposed to UV rays
- Spending most hours using electronic gadgets such as phones and/or laptops
- Having trouble with dry and dull skin
- Experiencing premature aging
How can I Incorporate Vitamin C into my Routine?
Vitamin C is generally a low-risk ingredient when used topically. However, there are still records of people with hypersensitive skin developing allergies and irritation. If you have sensitive skin, it is recommended that you start applying once every two days and slowly work your way to applying it daily.
Here are top tips for looking for a product with Vitamin C:
- Opt for products that give the ideal concentration (15.2%) of vitamin C. Most skincare experts usually recommend the use of serums as they are more easily absorbed by the skin.
- Be mindful of the packaging. Vitamin C is very prone to oxidation. When shopping for a Vitamin C product, make sure to pick those with tinted bottles since this helps in preserving the stability and efficacy of Vitamin C.
- You may use Vitamin C at most 2 times a day, once in the morning and once at night. Check and follow the instructions stated in the packaging for ease.
- Never forget to do a patch test before using it all over your face to avoid any adverse effects.
- The most common form of Vitamin C in skincare products is L-ascorbic acid. For best results, you can also look for an item with a Vitamin C and E combo for double protection.
LANEIGE's Radian-C Range: Championing Vitamin C
Realizing the potential of Vitamin C, skincare experts from LANEIGE have developed an all-new skincare collection that puts the wonder vitamin in the spotlight. Released this June 2022, the Radian-C Range features 4 quality products that harness the power of Pure Vitamin C, obtained through LANEIGE'S exclusive Anti-Oxidation System that ensures the Vitamin C used in the Radian-C products has minimal contact with oxygen for its full efficacy.
This new skincare range promises to provide the following benefits to users:
- Intensive brightening treatment through its unique 3x Vitamin Mix
- Corrects micro-dark spots even before they become visible to the eyes
- Strong damage repair and moisture retention
Check out this 4 Step Complete Brightening Care here.